Friday, May 18, 2012

Time to Start Teaching!

Today was the second day of being in the elementary schools teaching. I am in a group with 5 other students. We came up with a lesson about American cities both big and small. The plan is to have us teach the same lesson in multiple schools. So far I have loved getting in front of the class and speaking. I was a bit nervous entering into this whole teaching experience, but having a group to teach with is such a relief. I appreciate being eased into this whole teaching thing.

The response we got to our lesson and simply our presence in the schools has been so positive. We have even been asked to return to teach...unfortunately we cannot since our schedules are so packed. I can tell that the students like being taught by us--or at least they like smiling and waving at us in front of their friends:)

Either way, I'm happy to teach them. I never realized how fast time moves when you're trying to get through an entire lesson. We have only made it through our entire lesson 1 time in the 6 times we've taught this lesson. Forty minutes simply is not enough time to teach everything we want to cover...I never thought I'd say it, but I actually wished class was longer--gasp!

We finished at 10:30am which left us a glorious amount of free time to take naps, veg, and finish some homework. Tonight all of the girls are going to see the ballet Swan Lake. I'm so excited. More details to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment