Monday, May 28, 2012

1st day of teaching solo

Well...this day has finally arrived. In the morning, all of the people who are teaching the elementary teachers met on the bus which took us to the Muncipality. We met all of the English teachers who will be helping us along with their principles and the mayor. First impressions are the worst. As I looked around the room at all the people sitting in chairs, I tried to figure out who was who. Who is my teacher? Who is the person who will be helping me? Who is the mayor? And then, another round of questions flooded my mind. What do these people think of me? How in the world am I supposed to educate educators? What in the world am I doing? Why has everything I’ve learned seemed to have fled my mind? And then of course the usual recorded pep talk in my head--oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness, you can do this, you can do this--starts up as I try to assess what is happening.

Despite how much I try to stop worrying and talk some sense into my conscience, I can’t stop the habit. It’s like my mind somehow thinks that by worrying I am some how controlling the situation that is scaring me. It always works out--in one way or another it always works out. Today was no different. I found out that my elementary school is actually very close to the Muncipality. That means no 45 minute trek out to the country--one worry taken care of. Then, I found out that I don’t have to team teach--and just like that the second worry flies out the window. My English teacher’s name is Vesna. She is like the cherry on top of this whole morning. Vesna was so completely supportive and informative and helpful. I am very thankful for her.

She walked me to the school, introduced me to several faculty members as well as her class of students, and showed me the classroom I’ll be teaching in. Only half of my class was present today. I don’t think everyone knew that today was the day that the class was supposed to start. Instead, we introduced ourselves and I explained a little bit about what this next week will look like. I also asked them a bit about their expectations for this class. It was nice to put faces on the people I’m finally going to teach. After that, Vesna showed me to the bus stop and explained the directions from my home to the school. I got on the bus, found my way home, and that was that.

First day of “teaching”=finished.

Please pray for confidence as I teach tomorrow and during the next 4 weeks. Please pray for my relationships with these teachers that I would reflect the light of Christ. And, please pray that I wouldn't worry so much--I have no more safety nets, no more hurdles to jump. This teaching experience has finally arrived and as much as I would like to "not and say I did" I can't and I don't want to. I have so much to learn, and I've been put in the perfect situation to learn--the whole experience is a bit overwhelming. I just hope that I'm cut out for this whole teaching thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment