Saturday, May 5, 2012

Blessed Rather Than Burdened

The cushion on days between me and this trip has dwindled even farther. Three days--only three days stand between me and Macedonia. The realness is continuing to seep into my mind. Last night I made flashcards translating English letters, words, and phrases into Macedonia--and I was hit all over again with how real this trip is and how completely unprepared I am.

Granted I probably should have started learning Macedonian before last night but hey, better late than never right?

As I am coming to terms with this inevitable trip I realize that I have been looking at it from an entirely wrong angle. For the past couple of weeks, I have seen going to Macedonia as a burden--a requirement for my major, something I have to do in order to find out if I am cut out for this ESL teaching thing, and a trip that forces me to miss out on many family events (my brother's high school graduation and my parent's 25th anniversary for instance). However, during my devotions I realized that this trip is actually a blessing rather than a burden. I have been given the opportunity to travel for the 3rd summer in a row--all expenses paid. I have the chance to gain some real life experience as a second language teacher while exploring a country rich in history and tradition! Excitement instead of dread is what I should feel, blessed rather than burdened, adventurous rather than cautious.

This morning I was reading Psalm 34. The verses of this chapter talk about the Lord's faithfulness and how He is our safe haven, our place of refuge. It reminded me to keep my eyes on Him, find comfort in His sovereignty, and rejoice in this wonderful blessing He has given to me.

"I will extol the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt His name together. I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame...Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34: 1-5, 8 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment